Saturday, January 13, 2007

Increasing Spirituality through Hymns

The preface to teh devotional book, The One Year Book of Hymns: 365 Devotional Readings Based on Great Hymns of the Faith, says, "From the earliest days of the church, the singing of hymns has been an integral part of Christian worship."

The statement goes on to say that the singing of hymns was "an important means for teaching Christian truth in a church that was largely illiterate."

The dissemination of Christian truth is the main work of the church, be it for evangelizing or discipling. Therefore one of the greatest assets of the church is her hymnbook. This is the primary reason why we need a recovery of hymn singing in our day.

When a covenatn child goes off to college, one of the best things that he or she can have locked in their minds is teh words of those great hymns.

For example, when a biology teacher tells your child that they are nothing but a sac of molecules and/or a glorified germ, your child can leave the class with Samuel Crossman's great hymn, "My Song is Love Unknown."

My song is love unknown
My Savior's love to me
Love to the loveless shown
that I might lovely be
.

Many church leaders avoid hymns because they think that hymns are a turn off for unbelievers. It is true taht the unbelieving heart cannot comprehend that which is spiritual, but let us not count out hymns for this reason. Wouldn't hymns be best suited for the conversion of sinners?

For example, could not the Lord use the words of Charles Wesley's hymn "And Can it Be"?

And can it be that I should gain an interest in the Savior's blood?
died he for me, who caused his pain? For me, who him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be that thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

Don't think that I am against contemporary church music. I certainly am not. I believe that the church should embrace all songs that have a fit tune and bring glory to God by expressing the truth of His Word. My only qualm with much of today's church music is that it stresses more sentimentality and self-focus than Christian truth.

I am convinced that we will only experience revival when reformation comes to the church. And that reformation will only be accomplished if we recover sound, Biblical preaching from our pulpits and sound, Biblical praise in the pews.

No comments: