Thursday, February 21, 2008

On Being Reformed--Introduction

Here in Ashland I meet from time to time someone who says that they are "Reformed." When they make this proud confession deep down inside my heart I declare, "No you aren't. You might be a Calvinist, but you are not Reformed."

I don't vocalize my correction because I know what the person is trying to say (and I am extremely happy to meet a 5 pointer when, on the rare occasion, I come across one. So I don't want to squelch the moment!) So often though Reformed theology is equated solely with the the sovereignty of God in election. But being Reformed encompasses so much more than the doctrine of Predestination.

As a matter of fact it goes far beyond a set of doctrines. A full orb-ed Reformed theology ranges from one's worship on Sunday to one's thoughts on Saturday night. That is why I wish in the upcoming months to flesh out what "being Reformed" means.

Do pray for me that I have the time to meditate and articulate as I take on this gigantic (yet, I suspect, ever so devotional) endeavor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will pray for you, Matt. Also, I am looking forward to what you have to say on this topic, I will probably also direct the others to your blog to get an idea of the larger subject of Reformed Theology before your talk on the 28th.