Friday, March 7, 2008

Feel Good Christianity

I've been playing Facebook lately, to see what the rave is all about. One thing that I've come across is the "Daily Bible Verse" tag. I thought that might be nice to have on the "pastor's" profile, but I was somewhat discouraged when I went about registering for it.

The people who host (is that the right terminology?) it specifically say at the beginning that their aim is to provide "uplifting" verses each day. I suppose that means I will not have some of my favorite Scripture appear on my Facebook account. Such as,

"As a dog returns to its vomit, so a fool repeats his folly."
Proverbs 26:11
"The Lord works out everything for its own end, even the wicked for the day of disaster."
Proverbs 16:4
"I have trampled them in my anger and trod them down in my wrath; their blood spattered my garments, and I stained all my clothing. For the day of vengeance was in my heart and the year of my redemption has come."
Isaiah 63:3-4
(the context gives it even more punch)

This "uplifting" trend--also found on many so-called "Christian" radio stations (e.g. "safe, clean, fun")--drives me nuts. It is more sterilized than uplifting as it is a blatant skirting of the whole counsel of God. This is also why I believe the church needs to be singing more psalms in worship. They provide a different (may I say "yucky" as compared to today's "clean and uplifting") tenor to the common sing sony chorus' and hymnal tunes.

I do acknowledge that the gospel is the most uplifting thing in the world. But what makes it uplifting is the complimentary passages that point out the dismal fate of the damned and the need for faith and repentance. For every weeping prophet there is the complimentary consolation and assurance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just got a copy of the trinity psalter, and Matt, I would have to say I agree with you wholeheartedly the entirety of this post, but mostly on the Psalm Singing, it has enriched my personal worship.