Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dealing with Other People's Money: Stimulous Package and the 9th Commandment

It has been reported that our glorious Robin Hood-like governing officials are once again contemplating sending out another stimulus check. One wonders where they are getting the money to do such a thing given the fact that our government has been spending money like crazy.

Of course, we know where they are getting it. They are stealing it from wealthier Americans and/or printing more of it on the presses (I've heard that China will not lend any more to us any more--a sad day when they know better than us on economics!). Either way they are mocking God and breaking his rule for economics.

When the first checks went out earlier this year I was disgusted that our policy makers would approve of such a move. And when my check came--which was quite a hefty amount of money for us-- I felt a mixture of joy and that dirty feeling you get when you're doing something wrong (I think that is called guilt). In other words, I was caught up in the exhilaration of greed. Not having thought through the morality my own actions, I deposited the check in my savings account and dreamed of how it would serve as a good start on saving for our next adoption.

But the more I have thought about it, and with the announcement that another check could be on its way, I have come to see that it was wrong to receive that money. The Bible says that it is a violation of the 9th commandment to receive stolen property. For instance, the Westminster Larger Catechism cites Proverbs 29:24 ("Whosoever is partner with a thief hateth his own soul: He heareth cursing and bewrayeth it not.") and Psalm 50:10 ("When thou sawest a thief, then thou consented with him."). Also, it is the Christian's duty to stand up against evil when it is being perpetrated. But how does this apply to those unlawful checks that come in the mail from our civil magistrates?

I believe that each person must decide what to do on an individual level how to handle the situation--and I am open to suggestions. But I personally have decided that I cannot act in the same manner should I receive another "stimulus" check. I do not believe it would be right to deposit it, spend it, or even pass it on to charity (It is not mine to give after all). So I have decided that, should another stimulus check come to my house, I will write "Return to Sender" on the envelop and give it back to the post man. I might even add, "The REAL Sender!" to make an effort to let my leaders know that it should go back to those hard working Americans from whom it was taken.

Sure, I could just burn the check. But I don't think that would be making enough effort to protest the action. Also, if other God fearing citizens would follow suite, it might make its mark. If enough checks come back to their place of origin, it might send a message to the our leaders that we do not want our country to follow the principles of Humanism/Marxism.

I know that it probably sounds silly to you. I mean, some mail room government worker will probably laugh hysterically when it comes to his box. But this is the best thing I can think to protest the wrong-ness of our leaders' action. It is other people's money and it should be given back to them.

If our governing officials want to stimulate the economy they can begin to follow the commandments of God by reducing the size of the government monster, cutting spending on illegitimate programs, and slashing the taxes they level on the great citizens and companies of our country.

But we who are on the receiving end of it all must remember our duty towards God and our fellow man. We cannot let greed dictate our actions or let lame excuses justify signing our names on the back of the checks.

No comments: