Saturday, November 28, 2009

Sermons Available for Listening


I just wanted you all to know that you can now listen to my sermons online or download them to your audio devices. They are available at my new website: www.kindledfire.com. When you get there, you can subscribe to them and have them sent to your inbox or itunes. The link at the side bar here has also been updated to reflect the change.

You might ask why I chose the title, "Kindled Fire." I chose it based on Jeremiah 20:9, and a sermon I once heard on it in college. In this passage Jeremiah talks about having an unquenchable desire to preach. It is as if a fire were penned up in his bones and it could not be held back. It is that spirit that resides in me. I've tried other occupations in life. I've tried avoiding the call to be a minister of the gospel, but I find that I'm driven to preach. I affirm the words of the Apostle Paul, "Woe to me if I preach not the gospel."
The title also derived from an excellent book that Zack Eswine wrote, entitled Kindled Fire. It is a book that details the preaching of Charles Spurgeon, and is intended to allow the reader to "apprentice" under the Prince of Preachers. In it Eswine quotes Spurgeon as saying to his seminary students, "Let the fire be kindled, brethren! Let the fire be kindled by the Holy Ghost!"

I also like the imagery of fire (and the above image of the flaming dove) used in Acts 2. When the Holy Spirit descended, the apostles automatically began to preach. It couldn't be helped. Their mouths began to move and words were formed simply by the unction of the Spirit.
I'm not one who believes in the continuing gift of tongues as the Apostles were noted to have done. However I do believe that some men have been raised up and equipped by the Spirit to bring the Word to bear on the lives of people. When that Spirit moves in such a way, it is impossible to keep one's mouth closed. He creates an unquenchable passion for the truth to be proclaimed.
Lord willing, you will see that divine unction for yourself as you listen.

No comments: