Saturday, March 31, 2007

A Proof of the Power of Prayer: To God be the Glory

I have a pen pal in the Ohio prison system. I write to him on a monthly basis and I send him my sermons each week. I also try to send other discipleship materials on occasion. He's a growing Christian fellow and excited about God.

Last Christmas our congregation made him cards and I sent them to him, along with a catechism booklet. About the same time the prison system changed their policies. They would not let anyone send anything (other than letters) via the postal system to their inmates. They had to be specially ordered through a certain company. As a result, my friend got the cards, but not the booklet. We were both bummed about that.

I give this background because it is vital information for this, his latest letter to me:

Matt,
How are you doing? I got some good news. On Monday the Sargent called me into his office and told me I have contraband in his office. He opened it up and there was the book you sent me. He told me to sign for it to be destroyed. I did it. He then handed me the book and said that he destroyed it and for me to get out of his office. He also told me not to have any more books sent, but it was real cool of him to give it to me.

I remember when I got those cards and the contraband ticket. I prayed that somehow I would get that book, and tada..I got it a few months later. God is good and he works in ways I never thought he would.


Praise the Lord. Rightly did William Cowper write,
Deep in unfathomable mines of never failing skill
He treasures up his bright designs, and works his sovereign will
.

My only question is, "Why did it take almost 4 months for the book to get to him?" Do you think the Sergent read it?

Judge not the Lord by feeble sense, but trust him for his grace;
Behind a frowning providence he hides a smiling face.

No comments: